Monday, July 30, 2012

Defragmentation


Several years ago my computer was gradually slowing down.   Alan, our computer tech, introduced me to “defragmentation.”   He explained that frequent use of various programs and documents causes pieces of information to become scattered on my hard drive, requiring my computer to search for and reconnect the pieces before I can use them.  The fix, he explained, was to run a program which reclaims the pieces and puts them back together again. This is called “defragmentation.”

Like my computer, my life often gets fragmented.  I am pulled in many directions and suffer from information overload.  My perfectionistic nature causes me to try to accomplish everything on my plate.  I end up running in every direction and am not allowing myself to center.

So I pray:  Lord, I need Your help.  I am scattered, restless, and only half here.”  King David also went through similar times (Ps. 55). In prayer, David spoke to God, confident that He would hear and answer him (v.17).  You see, he had learned that prayer can defragment our lives.  When we cast our cares on the Lord, He will show us what we need to do and what only He can do.  Listen to David’s encouraging words to us: “Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you”.   (Psalm 55:22)  By the power of His Spirit, He can and will defragment our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment