Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sharing Jesus


As a kid I was proud of the fact that I was the only one in our gang who knew the biggest word in the English language – “antidisestablishmentarianism”.  I had no idea what it meant.  One day I looked it up in a dictionary, which defined it as “the doctrine or political position that opposes the withdrawal of state recognition of an established church.”  That’s a mouthful in itself. 
When St. Paul shared his faith, he didn’t try to impress people with big words.  Instead, he wrote in his letter to the Corinthian believers: “When I came to you, I did not come with high sounding words or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God”  (I Cor. 2:1).  Big words used to impress point to self.  Paul wanted to point to Jesus, so he spoke in the words of the people.  So his words didn’t get in the way of the message, but rather supported it.  It’s reassuring that when we share Jesus, we don’t have to use big or churchy words.  It is more real and effective to tell others of our relationship with Jesus in words they can understand.  May God bless you in your sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment