Monday, November 5, 2012

Stormy Waters

-->
As I contemplate the events of this past week in the northeast, I recall the many summers we vacationed at Houghten Lake, Michigan.  This particular summer I was five.  Dad and I would go fishing every day, but this day the sky looked particularly dark.  We went anyhow.  About hour from our cottage we saw that a bad storm was coming up.  The dark clouds churned, the wind blew, white caps began to toss our boat, and I was scared to the bone.  I just knew that I was going to drown.  Dad saw my fear.  I'll never forget what he said.  "Art, I think we can ride the storm out.  I just want to tell you two things.  If the boat turns over, hang on.  It won't sink.  And secondly, no matter what happens, I'll never leave you."  And right out there in the middle of that raging storm, a deep sense of calm came over me.  He would be there.  God wants to tell us today that when our life is stormy, "No matter what happens, I'll never leave you."

 Jesus got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Then the wind died down and it was completely calm. (Mark 4:39)

No comments:

Post a Comment