Sunday, May 26, 2013

Serenity Prayer


This prayer is beloved by many and spoken to end every 12 step meeting.  Most are totally unaware that the prayer is more than four lines long.  They have no idea of its origin.  It is a Christian prayer of surrender and trust in Jesus. 

God, grant me the
Serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can:
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did,
This sinful world as it is
Not as I would have it.
Trusting that He will make all things right
If I surrender to His will
That I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy
With Him forever in the next.  
(Reinhold Niebuhr)

No comments:

Post a Comment