Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Ora et Labora

    One of the few phrases in Latin that I remember is ora et labora – “prayer and work”.  I first bumped up against this organizing principle of monastic life at Richmond Hill, where I go on retreat.  I am impressed and challenged by this balanced way of living.  Each of the sisters, Mary and Martha, appear to represent one side or the other.  Personally, I have found it hard to keep such a balance.  I have also noticed that the congregations I work with find it difficult as well.  We do quite well with “doing.”  We strategize, form committees, volunteer, go to meetings, use a corporate model for making decisions, draw flow charts, and all such manner of things.  At the same time, we don’t do as well “being” present to each other and to our Lord.  I sometimes wonder what life would be like if we practiced the discipline of ora et labora. 
Lord, let my prayers guide my work and my work lead into my prayers.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment