Thursday, October 10, 2013

Prayer Unanswered?


I asked God for strength, that I might achieve . . .
   I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health, that I might do great things . . .
   I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy . . .
   I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of others . . .
   I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life . . .
   I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for . . .
   But everything that I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered . . .
   I am among all people most richly blessed.  Amen.

(found in the clothing of an unknown Civil War soldier)

No comments:

Post a Comment