Tuesday, June 12, 2012

One Life-Changing Message


It was Easter Sunday at Luther Memorial Church, located near Concordia Seminary in Clayton, MO.  Pastor Hohenstein had invited Ofion Idiong, a graduate student from Nigeria, to preach.  I remember the “spirit” of Ofion and how he loved life and people.  He was one of those people you wanted to ‘hang around with.’  There are very few sermons I recall, but Ofion’s was different that day.  He began speaking in beautiful King’s English:  “I have a lot to say today, but don’t need many words to say it.  I have come to tell you there is one message that changed my life and that of my tribe.  There is one message that caused my tribe, who were known as fierce warriors who practiced head-hunting, to change into a peace-loving people.  There is one message that caused me to study hard so that I could come to the seminary to prepare for the ministry.  There is one message that caused me to leave my tribe, my family, my land to travel all the way to the US.  There is one message in my heart, which I am preparing to carry back to my people.  There is one message that brings tears of joy to my eyes.  There is only one message that I want to share with you today, because someone cared enough to share it with me and my people.  And that message is contained in three powerful words:  “HE IS RISEN!”  And then he sat down with tears in his eyes.  His sermon was no more than 3 minutes long, but those three words he brought us that day said it all.  And out of the stunned silence, the people responded as never before, RISEN INDEED!  ALLELUIA!

No comments:

Post a Comment