Friday, June 8, 2012

Opa's Forgiveness



Opa, my grandpa and best friend, had a beautiful O gauge model railroad he built from scratch.  It filled the basement of the parsonage in Frankenmuth, Michigan.  When we visited, the basement was the first place I headed for.  I loved to stand at the controls with Opa and make the trains go.  Unfortunately, they didn't always run the way I wanted them to go.  I couldn't have been more than five years old and I remember the train wasn't moving, so I decided to push it.  Now Opa had told me never to touch the trains.  With his back toward me, I pushed it and it went crashing to the cement floor.  A whole years work lay there on the floor, broken and bent.  Opa turned and I will never forget the look on his face.  Without a moment's hesitation I started to cry...."I'm sorry."  He put his arms around me and said, "I know.  It's OK.  I can fix it.  I love you."  And that was all that was said.  That said it all.  I never pushed a train again because of that love.  And several months later he had a surprise for me - he had repaired that engine and it was running again.  It looked like new….and so was our relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment